NewYears IED

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Riding the Sun.

One of the most peaceful, happy times during my days in Iraq was right after we would lock and load our weapons before leaving the wire.

Being PSYOP, we had the speaker system ready to go with, at least when I was in charge, Metallica.

I loved the Ride the Lightning album, so I would play that over the loud speaker as we rolled out letting everyone on base and anyone stupid enough to get in front of 5 up armored fully loaded Humvees that we were on a mission.

HOOAH.

As I'm writing this post I'm listening to Metallica. My mind is quiet and my words are coming with ease.

Thinking about this rather ironic reality, it doesn't surprise me that rage put to music would make me calm.

For the warriors reading this it's probably not surprising either. But for the civilian, let me explain it like this: a hyper vigilant state rendered normal by repetition is quite comfortable under duress.

Now the problem is that it's not sustainable; consequently, we burn out.

However, this state can be recreated in a sustainable fashion through meditation. Case in point, this weeks meditation by Lisa Wimberger called Riding the Sun.

At a certain point in this meditation, I am riding a golden winged red tail hawk to the sun.

Undaunted by the suns extreme heat, I visualize myself basking in its power allowing all the energy I've lost through rage and shame to come rushing back to me.

With a thought, I puncture the sun and allow it to cover my whole person. Unafraid of the heat and the molten energy I accept it and allow the energy I wasted in my past back in.

The heat, the power, the rage of the sun.... it's quite a ride.

This post was guided by the 40th stanza of the Art of Peace, a book written by Morihei Ueshiba
Armor Down now has a website. Check it out.

Like the AD Facebook page and I'll email you the PDF of a book called "Mindfulness in Practical English".

Thrive as a civilian.

No comments:

Post a Comment